Plum Christmas Cake Recipe
- Raisins(Onakka munthiri) – 1 lb
- Dates(Eenthapazham) – 1 lb
- Candied fruits and orange and lemon peel – 1 cup
- Gold rum – 1 cup
- Cashews – 2 cups
- All purpose flour(Maida) – 4 cups
- Baking powder – 3 tsp
- Butter – 1 lb
- Sugar – 4 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup (to make caramelized syrup)
- Eggs – 12 nos
- Cinnamon (Karugapatta) powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Nutmeg (Jathikka) powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Cloves (Grambu) powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Dry ginger (Chukku) powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Salt – 3 tsp
- Pure Vanilla essence – 4 tsp
- Dice the fruits and coat them with 3 tbsp of flour.
- Add rum and mix well.
- Keep this at room temperature over night.
- Dice or crush the nuts into small pieces.
You can do these steps the day before you plan to make the cake.
- Place the eggs and butter at room temperature the night before you make the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Measure and keep ready the flour, sugar and the flavorings.
To make the caramel, use a white enameled pot, if you have one. The light surface will help to see exactly the
caramelizing process. If you don’t have one, use a medium saucepan.
- Place 1 cup of sugar in the saucepan and add 2 tbsp of water.
- Turn the stove to high and place the pan on the stove and let it boil.
Don’t stir the contents at all. As sugar melts and caramelizes, you may swirl the pan a bit once or twice.
- Within 7 – 10 mins, a cherry wood colored caramel forms.
- Immediately, remove the pan from the stove and very carefully add 1 cup of water to the caramel.
You may hold the pan above the sink and slowly add the water, for it may splash.
- Stir the contents well to dissolve the caramel. Keep this aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder, a couple of times and keep ready.
- In a large container, whisk butter first and then add 4 cups of sugar and whisk again, until it is creamy.
- Add eggs and whisk well.
- Pour in the caramel syrup, the flavoring powders, salt and vanilla extract and mix everything together.
- Add the flour-baking powder mix and fold this in with a wooden or plastic spatula or spoon.
- When they are well mixed, add the candied fruits and nuts and mix again.
- Spoon this into a 10 inch non stick loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degree F.
You may line the pan with parchment paper or brown paper.
Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the pan. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake
is done. If not, bake for another 10 – 15 mins and check again.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a cooling rake.
- Pierce the cake with toothpick, and pour Brandy (about 3-4 tablespoon on each) on top and let it soak.
This will enhance the flavor and gives a longer shelf life.
- Remove the cake from the pan only after it is allowed to cool completely.
- Before storing, cover the cake completely with wax paper first and then with aluminum foil and keep in the refrigerator.